After strawberry picking, Hudson decided we should make strawberry pie. I concurred. But we cheated a little using puff pastry dough and went for more of a free form tart. Totally the way to go if your sous-chef is three years old. Hudson made his very own smaller version and ate it like a pizza. Here he is proud as punch about it:
Everyone loves puff pastry but the filling is the real star of the show. Our strawberries were insanely fresh and delicious on their own, but roasting strawberries brings out their natural sugars anyway, so no worries if you’re going store-bought.
- all butter puff pastry dough (find in the frozen section at your grocer)
- 3 cups strawberries, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- juice from one lemon
- 1.5 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg beaten (for egg wash)
- powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Place dough on a parchment lined sheet tray. We did a couple of smaller tarts for the littles and made the big one for everyone else. Divvy up the dough however you see fit.
- Pile berries on dough, leaving the edges free from filling.
- Fold the edges up around the strawberries.
- Place tray with galettes in the freezer for 10 minutes while preheating oven to 350°F.
- Brush edges of chilled galettes with egg wash, then sprinkle sugar on top. Bake until crust is slightly brown and crisp and filling bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Eat up!