This crumble comes together so easily, but still manages major wow factor. Best part? You can toss in just about any fruit you happen to have lying around. I chose cranberries, apples, and pears, but it’s just as delicious with mixed berries and stone fruit. Mmmm…a blueberry peach crumble? Yeah, sign me up for that too.
For the filling:
- 2 large granny smith apples
- 2 large red pears
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch fine salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut in pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice apples and pears into 1/4-inch slices. Toss slices with cranberries, sugar, lemon juice, flour, and cinnamon. Spread evenly in a lightly greased baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your hands, gently work cold butter into the flour mixture until pea-sized lumps are formed. Do not overmix.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over the fruit and bake until fruit begins to bubble, about 50 minutes.
- Remove crumble from oven. Serve on its own or a la mode!
Photography by Stancy Higley